Search for Books
Reference Books (Print and Electronic)
- Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory and Criticism / REFERENCE PN 81.J554 2005
= Emmanuel Faculty, Staff & Students only
Relevant Course Guides
Literary criticism overview
Literary Criticism “is the overall term for studies concerned with defining, classifying, analyzing, interpreting, and evaluating works of literature” (Abrams, 1993, p. 39).
Works of literary criticism may focus on:
- an individual author,
- a group of authors, a genre,
- a time frame or historical period,
- an individual work (e.g. a poem, novel, short story, etc.),
- or a particular literary theory.
Abrams, Meyer Howard. A Glossary of Literary Terms. 6th ed., Harcourt Brace Jovanovich College Publishers, 1993.