Current Events News Article Review assignment
Choose a business news article that was published within the last twelve months that relates to a U.S. law that we are studying in this course.
- For this assignment you will both write a business news article review and deliver a presentation on that news article that is related to the chapter that you have selected. Please refer to the Course syllabus for topic selection ideas, by Chapter and week.
- You must use a professional publication like Bloomberg News, The Boston Globe, the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fortune, Fast Company, Inc. for example. Approved sources are listed below
Part one: Paper, 5% of Final grade
Paper - Write a 2–3-page (double spacing) written summary, using the IRAC (Issue, Rule of law, Analysis, Conclusion) method which includes:
- Introduction: Briefly state what the news article is about and how it relates to the current topic we are studying; ISSUE
- Body: Analyze the business situation and law described in the news article. Your analysis must use terms, concepts, and/or legal frameworks discussed in class and/or the textbook; RULE and ANALYSIS
- CONCLUSION: As appropriate, provide recommendations or highlight problems and/or opportunities.
DON'T FORGET TO INCLUDE A BIBLIOGRAPHY IN APA FORMAT AT THE END OF YOUR PAPER.
Part two: Presentation 5% of Final grade
Presentation - Create a 5-minute PowerPoint (5 PowerPoint slides min)
Your name, article, publication (must use professional publication like Bloomberg News, The Boston Globe, the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Fortune, Fast Company, Inc. for example).
- Summarize the article in your own words. (include enough information for audience to have a thorough understanding)
- What are the legal concepts/theories the articles touches on and how? You need to relate the article to the chapter that you have selected.
- Other comments/ideas/questions that you have about this article.
- Ask the class three open-ended questions about your selected concepts and lead discussion for your presentation. Submit the PowerPoint slides and the paper on EC Learn by 9pm the day before your presentation day.
Approved Sources for the News Article
Note: The article should not be an op-ed piece.