Welcome to the Emmanuel College Community Biographies Gallery that adds depth to the College’s history by expanding upon the College Archives’ mission to document the history of the institution through its people, places and events. The Gallery supports teaching and research and ensures a lifetime connection with the College by creating and providing access to the stories of the College’s community members. The Gallery is a diverse collection of biographies of people related to Emmanuel College.
Essays date from the early years of the 20th century to the present and include: 1) Administrators, 2) Faculty, 3) Professional Staff and 4) Students/Alumni. The Archives will continue to conduct primary and secondary research to allow for the addition of other biographical essays, so be sure to check back regularly. All citation information will be provided upon request.
If you do not find what you need here, please contact us.
Sr. Helen Margaret (Grace A. Ayers, ‘30), SND
Academic Dean (1969-1974)
Grace Anita Ayers was born in Somerville on April 17, 1909, the youngest daughter of John and Margaret (Donovan) Ayers. She attended Emmanuel College and was the president of the Historical Society. Grace Ayers was also part of the Foreign Mission Society, Junior Class Dance Committee, Glee Club, and secretary of the Athletic Association. She received her bachelor’s degree in History in 1930. After Emmanuel, she went to Boston College to work on her master’s degree in history that was granted in 1933.
Ms. Ayers taught at Cambridge Latin School before entering the Congregation of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1937, taking the name Sister Helen Margaret. In 1940, After her novitiate, she began teaching history at Emmanuel College. She taught classes in American Diplomatic History and United States History. Not long after, she began to work for her PhD in History, which she received in 1953 from Fordham University.
In 1960, Sr. Helen Margaret became the Assistant Dean of Students and a member of the Standing Committee on Admissions. From 1967 to 1969, Sister Ayers served as the Dean of Freshman. In December 1969, she was appointed Academic Dean. She felt that the Academic Dean should help the student to “prepare for the future.” As Academic Dean, Sr. Ayers implemented the 4-course, 4-credit system at Emmanuel, a task she described as both challenging and rewarding. In December of 1974, Sister Grace Ayers resigned as Academic Dean, going on to do research for the Sisters of Notre Dame and helping the Alumnae Office until 1990.
On November 2, 1997, Sister Grace Ayers passed away in Worcester, MA.
Sr. Marie of the Trinity (Helen Marie Barry), SND
College President (1969-1975)
Sr. Marie of the Trinity was born Helen Marie Barry on November 21, 1909 to William and Alice (Doyle) Barry in Boston, Massachusetts. Sr. Marie of the Trinity held an A.B. degree from Rosemont College, an A.M. from Boston College and a Ph.D. from the Catholic University of America. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1933 and taught in Beverly, Massachusetts, Cambridge, Massachusetts and Boston, Massachusetts. In 1939, she joined the Emmanuel College faculty in the English Department and later served as the College’s Academic Dean.
In 1969 Sr. Marie of the Trinity became president of Emmanuel College and during her time in that position, the Black Student Union (B.S.U.) was established and a Student Bill of Rights was approved by the Board of Trustees. In 1975, she became Director of Continuing Education at Notre Dame Academy in Hingham, Massachusetts. Sr. Marie of the Trinity died on August 25, 1990 in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
Sr. Frances of the Sacred Heart (Catherine Cahill), SND
College President (1929-1932)
Sr. Frances of the Sacred Heart was born Catherine Cahill to Owen and Mary (McEnroe) Cahill on August 9, 1856 in Ireland. She came to the United States in 1868 and while living in Lowell, Massachusetts entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur on June 21, 1878. Sr. Frances spent her career teaching in Holyoke, Massachusetts and Chicopee, Massachusetts and then was named Superior at the Boston Academy of Notre Dame in 1892. She served as Provincial Superior for the Eastern Province for most of the 1920s before becoming president of Emmanuel College in 1929. Sr. Frances of the Sacred Heart died on January 10, 1935 in Waltham, Massachusetts.
Sr. Julie de la Sainte Famille (Julia Chisholm), SND
College President (1932-1934)
Sr. Julie de la Sainte Famille was born Julia Christina Chisholm on November 5, 1873 to Colin and Catherine T. (Carroll) Chisholm in Cambridge, Massachusetts and was the oldest of five (5) children. In 1897, she entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation. Sr. Julie began her teaching career in 1901 at Trinity College in the field of English and in 1922 she came to Emmanuel College to teach English and Logic. In 1932, Sr. Julie became superior and president of Emmanuel College during which the Emmanuel College was granted accreditation from the New England Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges (NEASC) and purchased land expanding the original campus from Brookline Avenue to Avenue Louis Pasteur on the Fenway.
In 1934, Sr. Julie returned to Trinity College where she continued teaching until her election as General Counsellor in 1938, assisting the Mother General in the operation of the entire Congregation. In 1949, Sr. Julie returned to Emmanuel College and published a History of the Rules and Constitutions of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur (1954). Sr. Julie de la Sainte Famille died on March 12, 1958 in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Richard James Cardinal Cushing
College Trustee (1944-1970)
Richard James Cushing was born on August 24th, 1895 into an Irish Catholic family as the third of five children to Patrick Cushing, a blacksmith, and Mary (Dahill) Cushing, a hired girl/housekeeper. During his adolescence, Cushing sold newspapers, salvaged scrape metal and managed the Gate of Heaven Parish School’s recreational center for income. After graduating from Oliver Hazard Perry Grammar School in June 1908, Richard Cushing entered Boston College High School where he served as an altar boy. In September 1913 Richard Cushing entered Boston College where he tutored students in Greek and Latin while working in Jim Doherty’s Drugstore dispensing ice-cream, delivering prescriptions and sweeping the floor. Following the sinking of the RMS Lusitania in 1915, Cushing enlisted in the United States Army but was discharged for his asthma. In September of that same year, with a letter from his parish priest, Rev. Richard Twomey, he began his studies for the priesthood at St. John's Seminary in Brighton.
On May 26, 1921, Cushing was ordained a priest by William Cardinal O'Connell at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross. Rev. Cushing’s first assignments were as a curate at St. Patrick's Church in Roxbury and he would also serve at St. Benedict's Church in Somerville. In 1922, William Cardinal O'Connell appointed Rev. Cushing assistant director of the Boston office of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, an organization dedicated to raising funds for missions. He later served as director of the Society from 1929 to 1944. On June 29th, 1939, he was ordained as bishop. During his years as a bishop Cushing continued to oversee the Society for the Propagation of the Faith, while also attending confirmations, marriages, visiting prisoners and church/chapel dedications. In addition, Bishop Cushing oversaw the parochial school in the Sacred Heart Parish by reviewing report cards, judged contests and chaperoned dances. Then in September 1944, after the death of William Cardinal O’Connell, Cushing was appointed the third archbishop of Boston by Pope Pius XII. Fourteen years later, on December 15, 1958, Cushing was elevated to the rank of Cardinal by Pope John XXIII.
The Cardinal did not hide his personality throughout his endeavors, and therefore became known as an unconventional Church figure for that time. He openly confessed his inability to follow theological argument, but his pastoral letters are often eloquent. At amusement parks he bought candy kisses for nuns and employed the gag “they’re the only kiss you’ll ever get”. Boston Catholics picked up their papers every day to only find images of him dancing in a nursing home or mugging outrageously beneath an improbable hat. Once he was summoned to give the last rites to a man at the scene of an accident. He asked, “Do you believe in God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Ghost?” The man replied, “Father, here I am dying, and you bother me with riddles.” His unconventional actions and jokes helped make him more relatable to the lay person. In the 1960s, although Cardinal Cushing did not support demonstrations and boycotts because they would violate laws, he did provide funding for charity work, such as Inter-Racial Council that ran a day-care center for children. The redevelopment of the South and West Ends discouraged Cardinal Cushing as many African-American and Puerto Rican Americans were forced out of their homes. In response Cushing publicly questioned why older homes were demolished before new construction was completed for displaced families. By 1967, Cardinal Cushing embraced demonstrations to quicken the pace of civil rights programs—especially in housing. He directed nuns to take a more active role in secular affairs, especially in areas of poverty, education and inter-faith cooperation.
Richard Cardinal Cushing was not only concerned with the Civil Rights Movement, but also, fundraising. By the end of his life, he raised nearly $300 million for the church. The money was used to modernize the Archdiocese by building new churches, schools, hospitals, and other educational institutions (including Emmanuel College). By 1964, it was estimated that Cushing was responsible for at least $250 million worth of construction of schools, eighty-six (86) new parishes, and four hospitals. Every day he takes in and gives out about $20,000. Cushing’s most spectacular fundraiser was collection a million dollars as ransom for those captured after the Bay of Pigs. His fame as a fundraiser was so grand that one day a letter came to his residence addressed to “Come on Wealth” Avenue”. Cushing did not only fundraise for the church – he set up his own banking system and insurance plan for Archdiocesan property. However, this expansion did not come without a cost, as Cushing’s successor, Humberto Sousa Medeiros, inherited a debt that would inhibit some of the growth of the Archdiocese.
Beginning in the fall of 1962, Cardinal Cushing found a spiritual brother in Pope John XXIII and shook the Church during the Second Vatican Council. Cushing did not want to stay for the complete session – partly because of his health and partly because he wanted to go home and raise money for his charities. The language barrier left the Cardinal uncomfortable. Only the scholars understood what was happening therefore his mind wandering often back to Boston. During the third session is where the Cardinal Cushing dominated. He gave a powerful speech where he fought for Catholics being identified with Protestants and Jews – to love each another and to have respect for the conscientious beliefs of another. In October 1965, Vatican II adopted “Nostra Aetate” that absolved the Jews of deicide charge and improved the Christian-Jew relationship. Without Cushing’s support of brotherhood and attacks on prejudice, Vatican II may have not reached these grand changes. This ability for unconvertible thinking and acceptance allowed him to accept Jacqueline Kennedy marriage to divorcee Aristotle Socrates Onassis, despite the Vatican’s insistence that Mrs. Kennedy Onassis could be considered a public sinner.
In 1970, Pope Paul VI gave Cardinal Cushing permission to retire after a series of illnesses had weakened him. Cardinal Cushing was succeeded by Humberto S. Medeiros, a Spanish-speaking priest of Portuguese descent showing his skillful transition of the complexion of the church. He passed at the age of seventy-five (75) on November 2, 1970, the celebration of All Souls Day.
Sr. Bernadine Marie Daly, SND
Superior of the Boston Notre Dame Academy (1914-1919/1920)
Sr. Bernadine Marie Daly was born on August 20th, 1860 in Salem, MA to Matthew and Hannah (McCarthy) Daly. She took her first vows as Sister Bernadine Marine in Cincinnati in 1888.
In 1905, she was named the new Superior of the Blessed Sacrament Convent in Cambridge. In 1914, when it was decided to expand and move the Boston Academy of Notre Dame from Berkeley Street to the Fenway, Sr. Bernadine Marie was named Superior of the Boston Academy of Notre Dame. She was given responsibility of overseeing the move and the construction of the building that would hold both Emmanuel College and the Academy. This structure would become Emmanuel College’s Administration Building.
The project required her to maintain communication with the architects, Charles Maginnis and Timothy Walsh, and the builder, Michael Mealey. Sr. Bernadine Marie managed the construction accounts and the dozens of donations and gifts. On July 25, 1914, Rev. Edward J. Mealey of St. Mary’s Church, presided over the corner stone ceremony. The corner stone was on the floor in the chapel. The copper box placed inside the stone contained a miniature portrait of Sister Bernadine Marie and other artifacts. The move of the Academy to the Fenway in 1916 took almost a month. Sr. Bernadine Marie ordered everything from an ice cream freezer to chemistry laboratory equipment, to stained glass windows and gym uniforms be transferred to the new building. Once completed, the building covered eleven acres and included a gymnasium, dining room, libraries, art museum, classrooms, laboratories, needlework department and an auditorium for 600.
In August 1920, Sister Bernadine was named the Superior of Saints Peter and Paul School and Convent on Broadway Street in South Boston. She was highly loved character at the Convent where she cared for hundreds of children. She remained Superior of Broadway Street until 1926 when she transferred to Superior of the Somerville Convent. In 1929, she went to Providence, RI to care for St. Teresa’s Convent and School.
Sister Bernadine Marie died on May 18, 1942 in Massachusetts.
Joyce A. De Leo
Vice President of Academic Affairs (2011-2014)
Joyce A. De Leo received her B.S. in biology and chemistry from the State University of New York at Albany and her Ph.D. in pharmacology from the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center (1988). She did much of her pre-doctoral research at the Max Planck Institute of Psychiatry in Germany under a Fulbright scholarship investigating cerebral ischemia. Dr. De Leo was a postdoctoral fellow at Harvard University in the Department of Neuroscience and at Dartmouth Medical School in the Department of Anesthesiology. She was the Irene Heinz Given Professor of Pharmacology and Anesthesiology (2006-2011) and Chair of the Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology (2008-2011) at Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover, N.H. She received the first annual Graduate Faculty Mentoring Award from Dartmouth in 2004. Dr. De Leo was instrumental in developing and directing the first Neuroscience Center at Dartmouth. She was the co-director of a Translational Neuroscience Postdoctoral Training Program.
Dr. De Leo serves on numerous National Institute of Health (NIH) study sections, international grant review boards and editorial boards and has published over 150 peer-reviewed manuscripts, reviews and chapters. Dr. De Leo is an internationally renowned expert on the neuroimmunology of pain. She led an active federally and industrially funded research program during her 23 years at Dartmouth Medical School.
Dr. De Leo joined Emmanuel College in Boston, MA in August 2011 as the Vice President of Academic Affairs. She continues to teach and is involved in neuroimmunology research as a Professor of Biology at Emmanuel College. She continued to serve in these roles until her departure in 2014.
Sr. Janet Eisner '63, SND
College President (Acting 1978-1979, President 1979- )
Sister Janet Eisner, a Sister of Notre Dame de Namur, is the nation's longest-serving woman college president currently in office. Since her inauguration in 1979, she has led Emmanuel through a time of exceptional innovation, achievement and growth. She provided the founding vision for the Colleges of the Fenway collaboration; she forged a partnership that brought Merck Research Laboratories to campus; and in 2000 she led Emmanuel's transition from an all-women's college to a thriving coeducational institution. Over the past decade, applications to Emmanuel have increased eleven-fold, enrollment has tripled and the campus has been transformed by the building of the Maureen Murphy Wilkens Science Center and the Jean Yawkey Student Center.
In addition to her responsibilities at Emmanuel College, Sister Janet currently serves on the Executive Committee of MASCO (the Medical Academic and Scientific Community Organization, Inc.), and on the boards of the Colleges of the Fenway, The Catholic University of America in Washington, D.C. and St. Sebastian's School in Needham, MA. She also serves on the Advisory Board of the College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA and previously served on the board of Trinity University in Washington, D.C. Sister Janet has influenced the shaping of educational and public policy through her service on several regional, national and advisory committees. These include the Association of Governing Boards, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the Massachusetts Board of Regents of Higher Education and the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Massachusetts. She has also been a member of the American Council on Education's Commission on Women in Higher Education and has served on various committees for the Archdiocese of Boston.
Boston College, Northeastern University and the College of the Holy Cross have recognized Sister Janet's accomplishments with honorary degrees, and several other organizations have honored her for her longstanding commitment to education.
She holds an A.B. degree from Emmanuel, an M.A. from Boston College and a Ph.D. from the University of Michigan. Before her appointment as President, she served at Emmanuel as a faculty member and as Director of Admissions.
Sr. Adela du Sacre Coeur (Adele Mare Gils), SND
College President (1919/1920-1922)
Sr. Adela du Sacre Coeur was born Adele Mare Gils to Charlotte A. Marchant and Gustane Giles on October 16, 1860 in Vaux et Borset, Province of Liege, Belgium. Sr. Adela entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1880 and came to the United States in 1884 where she served in a variety of roles that included French teacher and Mistress of Novices. She served as a superior at North Capital and K Street Convent (Washington D.C.), Rittenhouse Square (Philadelphia, PA) and Emmanuel College where she also served as College President. In addition, Sr. Adela helped direct the Tabernacle Society, an organization of lay women who created linens and vestments for priests. In 1922, she was appointed Provincial of the Cincinnati Province where she oversaw the construction of Villa Julienne (Dayton, OH) and the establishment of several convents.
In 1928, Sr. Adela returned to Namur where she was elected General Counsellor to the Mother General and aided in the operation of the entire Congregation. Sr. Adela du Sacre Coeur died on November 1, 1937 at Namur Belgium.
Thomas Dennis Goldrick, Jr.
Vice-President of Business and Finance (1980-1983)
Thomas D. Goldrick, Jr. was born on September 1, 1925 to Doris (nee Ballou) and Thomas Dennis Goldrick, Sr. of Pascoag, RI where he was raised with his siblings. After graduating from Burrillville High School, he enlisted in the Navy during World War II and ended his military career as an Air Traffic Controller for Naval Air Station in Miami, FL. After his honorable discharge, Goldrick graduated from Hobart College in Geneva, NY. During his college years he supported himself working as a “gandy dancer” replacing worn rail road ties on the Lehigh Valley Railroad. There he began his love of trains and model railroading.
Thomas Goldrick lived in Geneva, NY where he met and married Jean Enright. His wife died suddenly at the age of thirty-six (36). Mr. Goldrick, with his four (4) children, relocated to Massachusetts. Here he met newly widowed Loretta (Ford) Macdonald and her infant daughter. They married in 1969 and the new family lived in Hingham, MA. During his professional life, he worked as Finance Officer for several colleges in the Boston area including Curry College and Emmanuel College. At Emmanuel Mr. Goldrick served as Vice-President of Business and Finance and assisted Sr. Eileen Gertrude Mahoney, College Treasurer and Sr. Anne Patrick Nicholson, College Comptroller, in maintaining the College finances. Mr. Goldrick served the college from 1980 to 1983.
Thomas and Loretta Goldrick moved to Newport, RI in 1985. For many years he and his wife ran the Book Bay bookstore in Brick Market Place in addition to running a Bed and Breakfast, The Elliott Boss House. Tom used his financial skills as a volunteer for the Point Association. He enjoyed cooking, model railroading, sailing, swimming and travel.
Thomas D. Goldrick, Jr. died on October 17th, 2017 at Newport Hospital in Newport, RI at ninety-two (92) years of age.
Sr. Ann Bartholomew (Mary Dorothy Grady '28), SND
College President (1960-1969)
Sr. Ann Bartholomew was born Mary Dorothy Grady on January 20, 1906 to Bartholomew and Nora (Sullivan) Grady in Boston, Massachusetts. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1928, the same year she graduated from Sr. Anne Bartholomew Grady, 1968-1969Emmanuel College with a Bachelor of Arts degree. Sr. Ann Bartholomew taught in Peabody, Massachusetts, Newton, Massachusetts, Boston, Massachusetts and served as the Emmanuel College Registrar before becoming president of the College in 1960. During her time as president, Sr. Ann Bartholomew oversaw the continued expansion of the College (that was initiated with the construction of Alumni Hall in the 1940s) with the construction of St. Ann’s Hall, the campus/coffee shop, Loretto Hall, the Cardinal Cushing Library and St. Joseph’s Hall.
In addition to the construction on campus, she was also involved in the creation of a Graduate School and the election of the first lay Board of Trustees members, Henry W. Leen and John E. Sullivan, Jr. After stepping down as Emmanuel College’s president in 1969 Sr. Ann Bartholomew worked with the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in Rome, Italy until 1975 when she returned to Ipswich, Massachusetts. Sr. Ann Bartholomew died on August 25, 2001 in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
Sr. Mary (Margret Henretty), SND
College President (1922-1929)
Sr. Mary Henretty was born Margret Henretty on April 4, 1859 in Mason, Ohio. Sr. Mary spent her career as a teacher at Boston Notre Dame Academy (Boston, MA), Mount Notre Dame Academy (Cincinnati, OH) and Trinity College. In 1922, she became superior and president at Emmanuel College during which the College was accredited by National Catholic Education Association, the College's first class graduated, the Alumnae Association was formed. In addition, basketball and tennis courts were constructed and the literary Magazine Ethos started publication. In 1929, she was transferred back to Cincinnati, OH. Sr. Mary Henretty died on September 4, 1936.
Sr. Margaret Patricia (Margret Herbert), SND
College President (1946-1952)
Sr. Margaret Patricia was born Margaret Herbert on December 21, 1887 to Patrick and Mary (Carroll) Herbert in Holyoke, Massachusetts. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1906 and taught at St. Mary’s (now known as the Sr. Margaret Patricia, SND, udCatholic Preparatory School) in Lynn, Massachusetts before becoming the librarian at Emmanuel College in 1930. Sr. Margaret Patricia became president of Emmanuel College in 1946 during which time the Focus student newspaper was established, Alumni Hall was constructed and the Art Department was established. After serving as Emmanuel’s president she became the superior at St. Mary’s Star of the Sea in Beverly, Massachusetts. Sr. Margaret Patricia died on August 15, 1986 at Notre Dame du Lac in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Sr. Helen Madeline (Helen Elizabeth Ingraham), SND
Academic Dean (1919-1950)
Sister Helen Madeleine Ingraham was born Helen Elizabeth Ingraham on November 29, 1887, the youngest of nine children to Henry and Kate (Kirby) Ingraham. The family lived in Saxonville, a small mill village in Framingham, Massachusetts. Sadly, when Helen was five, her father died and her mother, Kate, became a housekeeper to support the family. Helen attended the Framingham Public Schools until 1901 when she was accepted into the Notre Dame Academy (NDA) in Roxbury, Massachusetts where she graduated in 1905. It was at that time that she entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The order sent Sr. Helen Madeline to Trinity College to pursue her Bachelor’s Degree.
Sister Helen Madeleine taught at the Notre Dame Academy in Lowell from 1908 to 1913, NDA in Roxbury from 1913 to 1918, and for the year of 1918 at the NDA in Boston. During that summer of 1918, she completed her Bachelor’s Degree at Trinity College. It was at this time that a committee of sisters formed to prepare for the opening of a college which would be located on the Fenway in Boston, Massachusetts and would aim to educate Catholic women. At first the committee thought to name the new school Notre Dame College, but Sr. Helen Madeleine believed that since Notre Dame Academy would share the same building, people would find the similarity in the names too confusing and think that the college would simply be an extension of the Academy. Sister Mary Borgia, the Eastern Provincial, asked her to think of a different name for the college. Sister Helen Madeline Ingraham, SND bestowed upon the institution the name Emmanuel College.
Emmanuel opened in the fall of 1919 and Sr. Helen Madeleine was named the College Dean. Those early years were a struggle. Because the NDA also occupied the same building, the college had little space in which to hold classes. For instance, Sr. Helen Madeleine’s office often had to be used as a classroom. This continued until 1931, when the Academy moved to Granby Street, almost a mile away. During the first two years, she worked to insure that the College would be a recognized institution by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. This required preparing an appropriate curriculum and hiring professors. The first two years, the courses included Sacred Scripture, Apologetics, Biology, English, Mathematics, Spanish, French, German, Logic, Chemistry, History, Philosophy, Psychology, Economics, Sociology, Oral Expression and Latin, which Sr. Helen Madeleine taught herself. There was also training in Physical Education for the students.
To aid in the quest for recognition, Sr. Helen Madeline sought the counsel of Arthur Dolan (1876-1949). He helped the College obtain a hearing at the Massachusetts State House in January 1921. At the meeting the College produced its curriculum and answered questions. The Commonwealth of Massachusetts granted Emmanuel College a charter on April 12, 1921. During her time as the Emmanuel College Dean (position later renamed Academic Dean), Sr. Helen Madeleine was also working on her Master’s Degree at Emmanuel. She completed it in 1927, receiving her M.A. in English, with a minor in the History of Art. In 1932, she went to Oxford University in England to pursue graduate classes and in 1940, she received an honorary LL.D. from Boston College and in 1950 received the same honor from Regis College. In 1969 she received a Doctor of Humane Letters from Emmanuel.
In 1950, after serving as the Emmanuel College Dean for thirty-one (31) years, she asked to resign from her position at the College. Mother Monica of the Passion accepted her resignation, but asked her to travel to Japan to help found the Notre Dame Seishin College in Okayama. This request came just as the Korean War started and so she was unable to travel to Japan that year. Instead, sisters at the Notre Dame College in Belmont, CA called, asking if she would help them expand their college from a two year school to a four year college. Once this task was accomplished, Sr. Helen Madeline went to Japan to found Seishin College. After spending time overseeing educational programs in Hawaii, Sr. Helen Madeline was able to return home to Massachusetts. In her later years she prepared a lecture tour on the culture and traditions of Japan and helped guide the program of studies for novices and for sisters working toward their degrees.
Among her numerous accomplishments include her three (3) books, With Heart and Mind (1937), Strength Through Prayer (1938) and Peace Through Prayer (1940).
Sister Helen Madeleine Ingraham died in Worcester, Massachusetts on January 24, 1989 at the age of 101.
Sr. Alice St. Francis (Patricia Johnson), SND '68
Academic Dean/Vice-President of Academic Affairs (1993-2001)
Patricia Johnson was born in Boston to Francis and Alice (Harrington) Johnson and was raised alongside her brother Robert Johnson during the 1940s and 1950s. She was a graduate of Archbishop Cushing Central High School in Boston. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1954 as Sister Alice St. Francis. Sr. Patricia later graduated from Emmanuel College (1968) with a degree in Chemistry, Math and Physics. She went on to earn a master's degree in Theology and Psychology from Andover Newton Theological College.
Sister Patricia was an educator at Notre Dame affiliated schools in the greater Boston area including Sacred Heart School in Springfield (1958-59), Ascension High School in Worcester (1959-61), Cardinal Cushing Central High School in South Boston (1961-68 and 1970-72) where she was Vice Principal from 1966 to 1968, Notre Dame Academy in Worcester (1968-69), and St. Mary High School in Cambridge (1969-70). She was assigned to Saints Peter and Paul Parish in South Boston (1975-80) to minister to and coordinate education for the parish.
Sr. Patricia joined the faculty at Emmanuel College in 1981 as a faculty member for the Urban Pastoral and Graduate Education program. She later served as the Vice-President of Academic Affairs between 1993 through 2001. In addition, Sr. Patricia served on the College’s Board of Trustees from 1983 through 1987.
She worked for the Franciscan Hospital for Children in Brighton and continued to volunteer there in her retirement.
Sr. Patricia Johnson, SND died on June 30, 2019.
Sr. Teresa Patricia (Mary Teresa Jordan), SND
College President (1940-1946)
Sr. Teresa Patricia was born Mary Teresa Jordan on June 8, 1889 to Patrick and Teresa (Daly) Jordan in Boston, Massachusetts. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1911. She taught at St Mary’s (Cambridge, MA) and then at Notre Dame Academy (Philadelphia, PA). In 1940, Sr. Teresa Patricia was appointed president of Emmanuel College where she oversaw the restructuring of the Board of Trustees, the creation of a student government and accepted the Horace B. Shepard Property as a donation from Mary McNally that allowed for the construction of Alumnae Hall. Sr. Teresa Patricia died on January 30, 1947 in Boston, Massachusetts after a period of extended illness.
Sr. Alice Gertrude (Mary Keating), SND
College President (1952-1960)
Sr. Alice Gertrude was born Mary Keating on March 29, 1898 to George and Alice (Halligan) Keating in Boston, Massachusetts. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1919, taught in Springfield, Massachusetts, Somerville, Massachusetts, Cambridge, Massachusetts, Tyngsboro, Massachusetts and Boston, Massachusetts. In 1952, she became president of Emmanuel College and during her time at the College, Sr. Alice Gertrude started the process of transforming Emmanuel from a commuter school to a residential school with the construction of Marian Hall and Julie Hall. Sr. Alice Gertrude was also involved in the construction of a new novitiate for Massachusetts and the planning of Notre Dame Academies in Worcester, Massachusetts and in Hingham, Massachusetts. Sr. Alice Gertrude died on May 5, 1994 at Notre Dame du Lac in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Henry M. Leen
College Trustee (1967-1974)
The son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas E. Leen, Henry M. Leen attended Boston College High School before attending Boston College where he earned his Bachelor of Law degree in 1929. By 1936, the year he married his wife Mary L. Mullaney ’31, he was working as a professor at Boston College Law School and served as the president of the college’s Alumni Law School Association.
In addition to his roles in academia, Leen also served in many different positions and roles. He served as an assistant U.S. Attorney from 1936 to 1941, chairman of the Massachusetts Health and Welfare Commission and director of both Massachusetts Bay United Fund and Old Colony Trust of Boston. In addition to that, Leen was a partner in the law firm, Roche and Leen. It was during this period he was appointed the first lay trustee on the Board of Trustees at Emmanuel College in October 1967. During his time on the Board the College elected Sr Marie of the Trinity Barry as the tenth College President (1969) and approved the student Bill of Rights (1974).
Henry Leen was granted an honorary degree from Boston College (1958) and St. Anselm (1965).
Sr. Agnes Cecilia (Ida E. Loughlin), SND
College President (1934-1940)
Sr. Agnes Cecilia was born Ida E. Loughlin on June 16, 1880 to Michael and Julia (McCarthy) Loughlin in Boston, Massachusetts. Sr. Agnes Cecilia entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1898 and taught in Boston, Massachusetts and was Superior of Roxbury Academy before her appointment as president of Emmanuel College in 1934. During her time at the College she oversaw the creation of the Placement Bureau that was established to provide alumnae guidance in entering the professional workforce and the institution of a formal administrative structure at Emmanuel. In 1940, she was appointed superior of the Academy of Notre Dame (Boston, MA). Sr. Agnes Cecilia died on February 27, 1968 in Hingham, Massachusetts.
Paul Maffeo Jr.
Paul Maffeo Jr. was born on May 14th, 1920 to Italian immigrants Paul Maffeo Sr. and Celia Maffeo. He was the youngest of seven children. Mr. Maffeo enlisted in the U.S. army in 1942 and served in World War II as a sergeant.
Mr. Maffeo received a B.S from Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Tuft’s University, and an A.M from Catholic University of America. In 1949, he started working at Emmanuel College as a Professor of German. By 1967, he had been appointed the first lay registrar of the College and was responsible for innovations to the Registrar’s office that included scheduling the students’ class registration day to the day before classes began. He also aided in the development of a course-evaluation form. Mr. Maffeo stepped down as the College Registrar in 1974.
Paul Maffeo Jr. died on June 22nd, 2000.
Sr. Mary Frances McCarthy, SND
College President (1975-1978)
Sr. Mary Frances McCarthy was born in 1916 and held a B.A. degree from Trinity College, a M.A. from Catholic University of America and a Ph.D. from John Hopkins University. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1938 and taught in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and at Trinity College where she taught English, German and Russian. In 1965, she was named a trustee of Trinity College. Sr. Mary Frances became president of Emmanuel College in 1975 and during her time in that position, Sr. Helen Madeleine Ingaraham, SND (College’s first academic dean), wrote her memoirs and the College sponsored a ‘teach-in’ that supported the Anti-nuclear movement.
In 1978, Sr. Mary Frances became the Director of Foundation Research at Trinity College. Sr. Mary Frances McCarthy died on November 3, 1997.
John E. Sullivan
College Trustee (1967-1972)
John E. Sullivan grew up in Dorchester, Massachusetts and graduated from English High School before beginning a career in banking and finance. He eventually served as the president and chairman of the Board of Director at the banking firm, F.L. Putnam and Co., Inc. In addition, he also served as vice-president and director at the Buzzards Bay Gas Co., Greenwich Gas Co. and Lowell Gas Co. Sullivan had been the president and vice-president of the Boston Security Trades Association and the National Trade Association.
In October 1967, John E. Sullivan was appointed to serve on the Emmanuel College Board of Trustees, as its first lay trustee, a position he held until 1972. His appointment served as a response to criticism made by the New England Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools (N.E.A.S.C.) about the absence of layman on the Board. Sullivan also served as an advisor at Cambridge’s Holy Ghost Hospital and a trustee at St. Elizabeth Hospital.
Mary Agnes Clark
Mary Agnes Clark was born circa 1920 to Herbert F. and Catherine (Sullivan) Clark in Everett, Massachusetts. She spent some of her adolescence in Somerville, Massachusetts with her two (2) brothers and sister. She matriculated as an undergraduate at Emmanuel College where she participated in the Foreign Mission Society, Social Services Club, the Athletic Association and as Class Secretary. She graduated from Emmanuel in 1941 with a Bachelor of Science degree. Ms. Clark would later receive a degree from Boston University (1955).
She served as a teacher and principal in the Somerville Public Schools for forty-five (45) years.
Ms. Mary Agnes Clark died on January 26, 2007.
Anna M. Doyle
Anna Marie Doyle was born to Edward A. and Mary A. (Daley) Doyle in Holbrook, Massachusetts on June 11, 1902. Ms. Doyle attended Emmanuel College where she participated in the literary, dramatic and musical societies, as well as, being a manager for the Epilogue, the student yearbook.
After graduating from Emmanuel College in 1924, she became a Latin teacher in the Boston Public Schools, where she would serve, not only as a teacher, but eventually as an administrator. Ms. Doyle, known for her cheerful disposition, was an advocate for religious life supporting those students that entered the priesthood or a convent.
Anna Marie Doyle died on July 29, 1986 in Brockton, Massachusetts.
Sr. Ann Francesca (Mary Frances Dunfey), SND
Mary Frances Dunfey was born in Lowell, MA on December 14, 1921, to Leroy and Catherine (Manning) Dunfey. She grew up in Lowell where she attended St. Patrick’s School. Mary Dunfey entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur Congregation in 1939. She earned a teaching certificate (1947) and a bachelor’s degree (1956) from Emmanuel College. Sr. Ann Francesca received a master’s degree in English from the University of Hawaii (1966). She also studied religion at the New School in Detroit.
Sr. Ann Francesca taught primary and secondary education in the Archdiocese of Boston, St. Michael’s School in Exeter, NH and at Schools in Hawaii (1956-1966), San Francisco, Maryland and Washington, DC. Sr. Ann Francesca joined the Maryland province in 1969 where she taught at Martin Spalding High School and Notre Dame Academy. In 1976, Sr. Ann Francesca requested a dispensation from vows and was secularized in March 1977.
Mary Dunfey community activities focused on social justice issues, especially in the area of women’s issues and human rights in Ireland, Central America and South Africa. She retired in 1986.
Mary Dunfey died on May 2, 1989.
Anna L. (Grady) Fleming
Anna Lantry (Grady) Fleming, often referred to as Ann, was born on July 8, 1910 to Bartholomew and Honora (Sullivan) Grady, in Somerville, Massachusetts . She was the younger sister of Emmanuel College’s eight president, Sister Ann Bartholomew Grady, SND ’28. Ms. Fleming, attended Emmanuel College and participated in the Musical Society, Dramatic Society and the Historical Society before earning her Bachelor of Arts degree in Mathematics and English in 1931.
Ms. Fleming spent thirty years on the Alumni Board of Directors in various capacities, but most specifically as President, when she created the first Alumni office on campus . Ms. Fleming also created the first Emmanuel College Alumnae Fund, and served as volunteer director on the board for thirteen years. Ann L. (Grady) Fleming was the first alumni to be appointed to the Board of Trustees in 1956, and held that position for fourteen (14) years . She also served as the professional Alumnae Association Executive Secretary, and spent the majority of her time in that position serving as council for Emmanuel College presidents . In 1981, Ann Grady Fleming was appointed Alumnae Archivist and All-College Resource Person, where she stayed for over twenty years . Ann was also awarded an honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters in 1998 for her lifetime commitment to Emmanuel College.
Ann L. (Grady) Fleming passed away February 12th, 2005 at the age of ninety-four (94).
Sr. Mary Friel, SND
Sister Mary Friel grew up in Utica, New York and graduated from Emmanuel College in 1960 with a degree in Biology. After teaching in Alaska for a year Ms. Fiel entered Boston College’s graduate school where she wrote a dissertation on the first fifty-five (55) years of Emmanuel College by 1979. The work is entitled A History of Emmanuel College, 1919-1974.
It was during the late 1970s that Mary Friel joined the Psychology Department of Western Connecticut State University (WCSU) and established, with Dr. Daniel Joynt, the Guidance and Counseling program that she helped run until her retirement from WCSU in 1998. It was during this time that Mary Friel entered the Congregation of Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. After retiring from WCSU Sr. Friel, SND became an adjunct professor of Psychology at Manchester Community College (Manchester, CT) where she worked with students of different ages and experiences. Through the course of her career Sr. Friel, SND has worked as a high school guidance counselor in Brockton, Massachusetts and as a tutor at Grace Academy, a middle school for underserved girls in Hartford, Connecticut.
Lucy Marie (Verza) Fitzgerald
Born in Peabody, Massachusetts in 1915, Lucy Marie (Verza) Fitzgerald ‘37 was the daughter of the late Louis and Teresa (Bertoldi) Verza, immigrants from Italy’s Veneto region. She was raised alongside her three sisters while attending St. John, the Baptist, School and St. John’s High School in Peabody, where she was formally introduced to the English Language by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. She graduated high school in 1933.
In 1933, Ms. Verza entered Boston University, however, she found the student body, the sciences and the German requirement not to her liking and transferred to Emmanuel College where and matriculated as an English student. At Emmanuel, Ms. Verza was a member of the Epilogue staff and the Solidarity of the Blessed Virgin. She was also a member of the Literary Society where she had the opportunity to interview Carl Sandburg, person she would later describe as “crusty, unhappy old man.” Mr. Verza graduated from Emmanuel in 1937 and proceeded two years as a substitute teacher in the Peabody School System. She would later marry Richard W. Fitzgerald and raise a son, Daniel Fitzgerald.
Lucy (Verza) Fitzgerald then shifted her career from teaching to the industrial sector and became a bookkeeper with the Verza Tanning Company. Her duties entailed general ledger accounting that resulted with “columns and columns of figures in my [Lucy Vera Fitzgerald] sleep”. At the Verrza Tanning Company where she assisted her father, Louis Verza, the President, with English translations for correspondences and in meetings. In addition, her duties included being a substitute nurse in the factory. Her recollections of medical emergencies ranged from fractures skulls, to shredded arms and war related seizures. Mrs. (Verza) Fitzgerald would eventually serve as the Assistant Treasurer of both the Verza Tanning Company and the New Hampshire Hide Corporation.
In addition to her career, Lucy (Verza) Fitzgerald was a polymath of the arts, she transcended the mediums of painting, crafting, and the written word to produce oil paintings, crafted flowers, nature decorations and collections of short stories. She exhibited in local art shows and symposia. A passionate reader of English literature, she was happy to convey her passion to students and enthusiasts alike.
Lucy M. (Verza) Fitzgerald died on January 22, 2011 at the age of ninety-five (95).
Anastasia (Kirby) Lundquist
Anastasia Kirby was born in 1915 to Charles Francis and Lilian Lyons Kirby and grew up in Watertown, Massachusetts with her younger brother Charles F. Kirby, Jr. She graduated from Cambridge High and Latin School in 1931, before attending Emmanuel College, an institution established by her cousin Sr. Helen Madeline Ingraham, SND. While at Emmanuel she was a member of the Solidarity and Foreign Mission Society, as well as, the Dramatic Society, Literary Society and Athletic Association. After graduating from College in 1935, Ms. Kirby wrote the book A Dream of Christmas Eve (1937) before serving as the associate director of the Red Cross Blood Donor Services for Boston, Massachusetts during World War II. During this time she also co-produced the weekly radio broadcast Life to the Front for WEEI with Lenient Henry Lundquist. The two were married in 1944. Together they had three children: Carl I. Lundquist, Marilyn (Lundquist) Anderson and Edward H. Lundquist.
In the 1970s, Anastasia (Kirby) Lundquist was active in the bicentennial celebration of Newton, Massachusetts. Ms. Lundquist also wrote a History of the College Chapel (2000) and the book Out for Blood: the Pursuit of Life for the Wounded (2014) that discussed her experiences with blood donors and recipients she interviewed for the broadcast Life to the Front she conducted during the Second World War.
Anastasia Kirby Lundquist died at her home in Auburndale, Massachusetts on November 3, 2016 at the age of 102.
Sr. Mary Rose McGeady, DCSVP
Sr. Mary Rose McGeady, was born on June 28, 1928 in Hazelton, PA to Joseph J. and Catherine McGeady, an engineer and bookkeeper, respectively. She was raised, for a time, in East Orange, NJ with her brother and sister. Sr. Mary Rose went to high school in Washington D.C. at the Immaculate Conception Academy. In 1946, at the age of eighteen (18), she joined Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul. She continued her education at Emmanuel College by earning a degree in Sociology (1955). In 1961, she obtained her Master of Clinical Psychology from Fordham University.
Sister Mary Rose her life working with the homeless and troubled children. She served as the executive director of Nazareth Child Care Center for Homeless Children in Boston and as the executive director of Rhinebeck, New York’s Astor Home for Children. In 1973, she became the director of mental health services at Brooklyn Catholic Charities where she was responsible for opening mental health clinics, day–treatment centers, and alternative living programs. From 1981 to 1987, Sr. Mary Rose became the provincial superior of her congregation’s Northeast Province which is based in Albany, NY. Then she returned to Brooklyn Diocese as associate executive director of Catholic Churches. In this position she was responsible for mental-health services and programs for youth and families as well as elderly, homeless and disabled persons.
Sr. Mary Rose is most known for her impact at the Covenant House. Upon her arrival in the fall of 1990, she had to face the organizations lethal public relations issue. Father Bruce Ritter, who founded the organization, stepped down after he was accused of sexual abuse. Sister Mary Rose addressed the issue of public mistrust by formalizing the rules of child-volunteer relationships and promised the donors details of the organization’s spending.
Her efforts were a success. The organization was able to open new crisis centers, institute a 24-hour hotline, improve street outreach tactics, develop a long-term housing program for homeless youth, and work with representatives to create job training opportunities and childcare resources for teen moms. By the time Sr. Mary Rose retired in 2003, donations had reached $130 million and reaches over 50,000 children and teenagers a year.
Sister Mary Rose McGeady passed in 2012 due to respiratory failure.
Mary McGrory was born on August 22, 1918 to Boston Postal Clerk. She was a graduate Boston Girl’s Latin School. In 1939, she graduated from Emmanuel College with a Bachelor of Arts. McGrory’s path to reporting political events was not easy. She spent six years as a book editor of the Boston Herald Traveler. In 1947, she became a book reviewer for the Washington Star. But in 1954, McGrory’s big break came. She was sent to Capitol Hill to cover the Army-McCarthy hearings by her editor, Newbold Noyes. Her editor encouraged her to write stories as if she was writing a letter to her favorite Aunt. This allowed McGrory to begin her path as a humorous, thought-provoking commentator.
From 1956 on, McGrory covered every presidential campaign. Phil Gailey, editor of editorials at the St. Petersburg Times, states that McGrory was legendary on the campaign trail for enlisting male reporters as her porters. On the trail, she made Richard M. Nixon administration’s famous enemies list after her column about his loss of the 1962 California governor’s race. One of her greatest passions was the Vietnam War which framed her coverage of the 1968 presidential campaign. Throughout her career, she covered all the classic Congressional dramas – including the impeachment of President Bill Clinton.
When the Washington Star closed (1981) McGrory was hired by the Washington Post. In 1975, she won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary for her columns on Watergate. McGrory was named the 33rd Elijah Parish Lovejoy Fellow in 1985. She also received the Franklin D. Roosevelt Four Freedoms Award for Freedom of Speech in 1995 and the Fourth Estate Award in 1998 from the National Press Club. Lastly, the Washington Post gave her its highest honor in 2001 – the Eugene Meyer Award.
In her private life, Ms. McGrory was a volunteer with St. Ann’s Infant and Maternity Home. McGrory bought the children Christmas presents, paid private school tuition, financially assisted the staff and young mothers and the institution during budget shortfalls at the orphanage. Also, she made sure the children enjoyed regular pool outings to Hickory Hill at the home of Robert Kennedy. The children often referred to her as Mary Gloria as they could not pronounce “McGrory.”
Mary McGrory passed away on April 20, 2004.
Margaret A. McKenna
Margaret A. McKenna, a native of Cumberland Rhode Island, graduated from Emmanuel College in 1967 with a Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology before earning her Juris Doctorate from Southern Methodist University in 1971. McKenna began her career as a civil rights attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice. She has served as deputy counsel in the White House and as undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Education during the Jimmy Carter Administration (1977-1981).
In 1985, Ms. McKenna was appointed President of Lesley College, a position she held until 2007. During McKenna’s 22 years as president at Lesley, the college grew from 2,000 to more than 10,000 students, from a college to a university and from a small regional college to a nationally recognized leader in teacher education. As president of the Walmart Foundation from 2007 to 2011, she created a strategy that emphasized hunger relief, education and the economic empowerment of women. Ms. McKenna led the transition team for President Bill Clinton (1993-2001), May Thomas Menino (1993–2014) and Governor Deval Patrick (2007–2015).
She has served as vice president of Radcliffe College and as a fellow at the Institute of Politics at Harvard University. Ms. McKenna was Visiting Professor at the Heller School of Social Policy at Brandeis University. She was the vice chair of the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Board and sat on the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Board of Elementary and Secondary Education and the Boston School Committee. Ms. McKenna served, for a brief period, as the President of Suffolk University.
Mary (Beatty) Muse
The second of four children, Mary Beatty was born in Boston, Massachusetts in 1921 to John F. and Dr. Mary (Moore) Beatty. She was the second of four children. The family was supported by their builder father and their physician mother, who was the first woman to serve as a school physician in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Beatty was also the first woman appointed as a trustee at Boston City Hospital.
Like her mother, Ms. Muse graduated from Boston Girls’ Latin. She studied biology and chemistry at Emmanuel College, graduating in 1941 and enlisting in the Navy WAVES (Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service). Before leaving for basic training, she fell in love with Robert Muse, a Marine fighter pilot during World War II, and together they would have eleven (11) children. After the war she attended Boston College Law School and earned her Juris Doctorate (1950). Ms. Muse began practicing law and helped to run a nursing home she and her husband, now a trial lawyer, had purchased.
She was fifty-eight (58) when Governor Edward J. King appointed her to the Judicial Nominating Commission, and sixty-two (62) when he nominated her, in 1982, to fill a Probate and Family Court opening in Suffolk County. Presiding with an even-tempered dignity in a court, Mrs. Muse sometimes began divorce proceedings by telling a couple, “Just remember, at one point you loved each other.” She was a justice until the mandatory retirement age of seventy (70).
She was a leader in legal organizations, among them the Massachusetts Association of Women Lawyers, one of the many avenues she traveled to help women advance in the profession of law. Ms. Muse was awarded honorary degrees from Emmanuel College (1983) and Boston College (2003).
The Honorable Betty Muse ’41 died on February 20, 2015 at Brigham and Women’s Hospital of complications of a heart attack.
Rosemary A. (Seibert) Tierney
Rosemary Seibert was born on April 29, 1932 to Edward T. and Mary (Kirby) Seibert at St. Elizabeth’s Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts. Ms. Seibert was raised in Milton, Massachusetts with her sister Joanne Siebert. She graduated from St. Gregory’s High School and Emmanuel College (1953) where she served as a class vice-president and was member of the student literary magazine Ethos. While at Emmanuel, she met her husband John A. Tierney with whom she would have five children. Mrs. Tierney received her master’s degree from Bridgewater State University.
Shortly after their marriage, Rosemary accompanied Mr. Tierney to France where they lived in Chaumont for three years while he was an officer in the Judge Advocate General Corps of the United States Air Force. While in France, Mrs. Tierney taught English.
After her husband’s discharge from the Air Force, they decided to settle and raise their family in New Bedford, Massachusetts and where she taught at Keith Junior High School Mrs. Tierney also taught at Southeastern Massachusetts Technical Institute (SMTI), a precursor of University of Massachusetts Dartmouth. She was the Director of Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Skill Center on Hillman Street for several years. Mrs. Tierney was committed to public education and learning and firmly believed in education’s ability to improve one’s life.
Rosemary Tierney believed in public service and loved politics. She ran and won a seat on the New Bedford School Committee where she served for many years. She was the Chairwoman of the committee during the contentious teachers’ strike in 1976. She relished campaigning, canvasing door-to-door throughout the neighborhoods of New Bedford, greeting factory workers in the early morning hours, speaking with strangers to learn their stories and concerns, handing out her famous nail files, standing on street corners holding her signs and waving to passing voters.
She subsequently ran for and won a seat on the Governor’s Council in Boston representing the First District which includes the Counties of Barnstable, Bristol, Plymouth, Dukes and Nantucket.
In 1991 Rosemary was elected the first female mayor of the City of New Bedford. She served three terms focusing on improving the city’s finances as well as the quality of its citizens’ lives. She was instrumental in the designation of New Bedford’s Historic District as a national park, the restoration of the Buttonwood Park Zoo, the establishment of the Art Museum and the Fort Taber Park. She was a champion for veterans and the elderly, opening new senior centers, investing in new transportation for seniors and upgrading existing senior centers. She improved the city’s bond rating, built a budget surplus and initiated a strategic plan to restore and maintain parks, beaches and municipal facilities.
Rosemary (Seibert) Tierney pass away on February 15, 2020.
Louise A. (Doherty) Wyant
Alumna (BA ’63, BFA ‘64)
Louise Doherty was born on February 4th, 1942 and grew up in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Following in her mother and aunt’s footsteps, she enrolled at Emmanuel College and received her Bachelor of Arts (1963) and her Bachelor of Fine Arts (1964). After graduating, she was an active participant in art associations across Massachusetts – Cambridge, Concord, Chelmsford, Bedford, and Billerica. In 1974, she moved to Tucson, Arizona with her husband James Wyant and together they raised one son.
Following her move to Arizona, Mrs. Doherty, a noted watercolor artist, became the Chairman for University of Arizona Faculty Women’s Club, became a Charter Member of the Southwest league of Fine Arts and was a member of the National League of American Pen Women. Mrs. Doherty, participated in several youth events, including watercolor demonstrations for the Tanque Verde School, Pima County Fair, and Pima College Open Studio.
Shortly before her passing, Louise and her husband James decided to fund the Louise Doherty Wyant Professorship at Emmanuel College. This marked a historical moment in the College’s history, as it was their first endowed professorship. It is a $2 million gift honoring Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney, SND ’30, Professor of Art at Emmanuel (1952-1978).
Louise Doherty Wyant passed away on October 24, 2004.
Assistant Professor of Psychology (1971-1982)
Richard Berggren was born May 27, 1942 in Westerly, Rhode Island. He graduated from Southern Connecticut State College, with his future wife Kathy Kanehl, in 1965 before entering Tufts University where he earned his PhD in 1970. In 1971, Berggren began teaching in the Psychology Department and he brought his love of photography and racing with him. During the 1970s, he taught a course on psychology and its relationships to photography, management and society. In 1971, he joined the Stock Car Racing Magazine and became a columnist and northeast editor and chief area photographer for the publication. His interest in auto racing extended further than managing races and working for the Stock Car Racing Magazine. He owns and drives a race car that were driven on dirt tracks (as opposed to asphalt). As a result, he gained the moniker “Dr. Dirt.”
In 1982, Richard Berggren hung up his tam and began to focus on a career as a NASCAR announcer with ESPN, where he served as a booth analyst and pit road reporter. He also worked for CBS from 1994-2001. He later became an announcer and commentator for FOX Sports. Berggren worked for Stock Car Racing for twenty-two (22) years. In 1999, the same year he won the Writer of the Year award from the National Motorsport Press Association, Berggren decided to start a new magazine. He dubbed the new publication Speedway Illustrated.
Richard Berggren was inducted into the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame in 2002. He was inducted in the New England Auto Racers Hall of Fame in 2008. Berggren received the 2007 Bobby Isaac Memorial Award for his outstanding contributions to short track racing.
He appeared as himself in the movie Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (2006).
Professor of History (1958-1989)
Philip Cash was born in 1931 to Leonard D. and Margret (Fuery) Cash and was raised with his two brothers and two sisters in South Portland, Maine. He graduated from the University of Gorham State Teachers College in 1958 and received Doctoral Degree from Boston College in 1968 and became a noted historian of medical history.
He was hired as a Professor of history at Emmanuel College in 1958 and during that time wrote several books that included Medical Men at the Siege of Boston (1973). Dr. Cash also participated in a symposium entitled " Health Care in Revolutionary America” (1976). Upon his retirement, in 1989, he became Professor Emeritus and he focused his research on Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse, a physician most well known for being the first doctor to test the smallpox vaccine in the United States. Dr. Cah’s biography was published in 2006 entitled Dr. Benjamin Waterhouse: A Life in Medicine and Public Service (1754-1846). He also contributed articles to the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), the Harvard Medical Alumni Bulletin and the New England Journal of Medicine. Philip Cash was a Fellow of the Countway Boston Medical/Harvard Medical Library, a member of the Colonial Society, and the American Association for the History of Medicine. He was a member of First Parish Church, Sudbury, Massachusetts.
Philip Cash was married to Louise (Gadbois) Cash ’59 with whom he raised three sons.
Dr. Philip Cash died on January 31, 2015.
Sr. Mary Camilla Coveney, SND '43
Professor of Chemistry and Biology (1956-1973)
Mary Camilla Coveney was born on Oct. 15, 1921 in Dorchester, the daughter of John and Winifred (McGrail) Coveney. She was raised alongside her two siblings, John and Patricia Ann Coveney. Mary Coveney held an AB Degree from Emmanuel College (1943), a MS from Catholic University of America and a PhD from Boston University.
Mary Camilla Coveney entered the Sister of Notre Dame de Namur Order in 1943 and went on to teach biology at the Notre Dame Academy, Roxbury. She went on to serve as Professor of Chemistry and Biology (1956-1973) at Emmanuel College. Sr. Mary worked as a CSO Administrative Assistant to the Superintendent of Schools between 1974 through 1987 and for the Catholic School Office Special Projects from 1987 to 1995. During that work she was responsible for the review of the Chancery's Budget Report, banking, payroll, etc. Sr. Mary also managed all maintenance and renovation of the property.
Sr. Mary Camilla Coveney, SND died on July 21, 2002.
Sr. Berchmans Louise (Margaret Currie), SND
Professor of English (1927-1962)
Margaret Currie was born on May 20, 1879 in South Boston to Jasper and Anna (Ford) Currie. In 1901, she entered the Sisters of Notre Dame (SNDs). In In 1923, Sr. Berchmans Louise graduated with a bachelor’s degree from Emmanuel College. She went on to receive a master’s degree from Emmanuel (1931) before attending and receiving a Ph.D. from Boston College in 1937.
Sr. Berchmans Louise taught at Notre Dame Academy, Roxbury and Worcester’s Ascension. By 1927, she moved on to teach at Emmanuel College in the Greek, Latin and English Departments. By 1935, she was serving as the head of the English Department, a role she would fulfill until 1958. To improve the student journalism on campus, Sr. Berchmans Louise assigned seven seniors to serve as editors for a new student newspaper—The Emmanuel Focus—in 1948.
On December 31, 1962, Sr. Berchmans Louise died in Ipswich, Massachusetts.
Professor of History (1966-1999)
John "Bernie" Cusack was born on February 16, 1933, in St. John, New Brunswick, the third son of Eddie and Anne Cusack. Bernie, as he was known, was the first in his family to go to college. He attended St. Francis Xavier University in Antigonish, Nova Scotia, where he earned a degree in Engineering and, more importantly, met the love of his life, Elizabeth Sears, through her brother, John T. Sears, a fellow student. After their marriage, they moved to Boston, a city where they lived for sixty-four (64) years.
After working for a few years as a structural engineer, he made a career pivot into academia and spent the next ten years as a student teacher earning his American History PhD in 1969 at Boston University. By the time he got his degree, he and Elizabeth were blessed with four children, Fran, Carrie, John and Jen.
John Cusack was hired as a history professor at Emmanuel College where he taught courses in American History and the development of the City of Boston. During the construction of Ruggles Station, in 1986, he co-taught the field course “The City” with Britta Fisher, Associate Professor of Sociology, that examined the development of the transportation system in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Cusack was a popular professor, known for his service to the College and was officially honored with Emeritus status, upon his retirement, in 1999.
Dr. Cusack also coached Brighton Little League and volunteered at St. Anthony's Church in Allston and the Brighton-Allston Heritage Museum.
Dr. John Bernard Cusack died in June 2020.
Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney, SND '30
Professor of English (1952-1978)
Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney, SND was born Mary Genevieve Delaney on May 20, 1909 in Cambridge, Massachusetts to Joseph and Ellen (Lawton) Delaney. She was the third of six children, her sister Margaret would become the Massachusetts Provincial for the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur from 1959 to 1964 under the religious name Sr. Eleanor Joseph Delaney, SND. Mary G. Delaney graduated from Emmanuel College in 1930 and then entered the Sisters of Notre Dame Congregation in 1932.
Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney taught high school in Lawrence, Massachusetts and in Boston, Massachusetts between 1935 and 1951. She earned a Master’s of Arts Degree from Boston College in 1946 with her Master’s Thesis “The Christocentricity of Gerard Manley Hopkins.” Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney then went on to earn a PhD at Boston University in 1954 with her dissertation “Anagogical mirrors: reflections in the poetry of T.S. Eliot of the doctrine of Saint John of the Cross.” Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney taught at Emmanuel College for twenty-six (26) years starting in 1952 and retiring in 1978. While at Emmanuel she was Director of the College’s public relations program (starting in 1974) before being granted the rank of Professor Emeritus in 1978. In 1982, Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney lectured at Notre Dame Seishin University in Okayama, Japan. Sr. Anne Cyril Delaney died on Nov. 29, 1997.
Walter F. Downey
Professor of Education (1927-1939)
Walter F. Downey was born circa 1886 to Irish immigrants and he grew up the Town of North Brookfield, Massachusetts with his eight (8) siblings where he aimed to become an industrial chemist. Mr. Downey earned his degree from Amherst College before joining the teaching staff at Albion New York High School where he learned his true passion was education. In 1910, Walter F. Downey joined the Boston English High School faculty as a teacher in mathematics and football coach. After receiving his Master of Education degree (1921) from Harvard University, he was appointed headmaster of English High School before joining the Emmanuel College faculty in 1927 in the Education Department.
In 1939, Walter F. Downey was appointed the Commissioner of Education for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts where he warned society not to fragment into its various constituency, but rather, embrace the differences in education and the larger society. During his time as Commissioner, Mr. Downey aware of the problems of unemployment and the cost of education supported vocational guidance and state loans for college. In 1943, he step down as the Massachusetts Commissioner of Education to again assume the role of headmaster of Boston English High School because, in his own words, “my boys [English High students and alumni] need me.” He served in that position until his retirement in 1954. In his career he was supported by his wife Josephine (Fleming) Downey and their two children James W.F. Downey and Katherine (Downey) Burke. Walter F. Downey died in January 1965.
Sr. Catherine Dorothea (Mary Elizabeth Fox), SND
Professor of English (1927–1940)
Mary Elizabeth Fox was born on December 7th, 1892 in Dedham, MA. She was one of seven children of Patrick and Mary (McEntee) Fox. In 1911, she graduated Radcliffe College with a Bachelor of Arts. During her time at Radcliffe, she taught at Pepperell High School and a Grade School in Boston. She went on to receive a PHD from Boston College.
In 1919, Mary Fox entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Mamur. She took her first vows in 1922 and her perpetual vows in 1927. Sr. Catherine Dorothea was named as a member of the teaching staff in the Emmanuel College English Department in 1927. In 1934, she had established Trinity Preparatory School, Ilchester, Maryland, and led it to full accreditation by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Between 1930 and 1935, Sr. Catherine Dorothea served as Emmanuel College’s English Department chair.
After this, she transferred to Maryland Province and became Trinity College’s eighth president in 1940, one of first presidents since 1920 from an “outside college”. The alumnae, faculty, and students welcomed her cautiously as she came to face different problems surrounding growth and development of the institution. During her thirteen years at Trinity College, Sr. Catherine left a lasting impact on the community and the growth of the college. In summer of 1953, Sr. Catherine Dorothea had to step down from her position because of illness. She retired to the Provincial House at Ilchester, Maryland, where she thought that extra rest, she could continue to work as Director of Education for the sisters.
Sr. Catherine Dorothea Fox died on August 8, 1954.
Sr. Anne Barbara Gill, SND '38
Professor of English (1947–1969)
Barbara Frances Gill was born in Somerville, MA on May 16, 1917 as the youngest child of John and Anna (Sullivan) Gill in Somerville, Massachusetts where she was raised with her siblings Anne and Mary. Ms. Gill attended Saint Joseph’s High School before attending Emmanuel College and receiving a degree in English (1938). During her college’s career, Gill had made many contributions. She held offices as the Class Treasurer, the Chairman in Publicity Committee, Agent 3, and Chairman 4. She also served as an editor for Emmanuel Ripples. In 1949, Barbara Frances Gill took the perpetual vows under the religious name Sr. Anne Barbara, SND . In that same year, she graduated from Boston College with a master’s degree. Sr. Barbara received her Ph.D. from Catholic University (1960).
Sr. Anne Barbara began teaching at Emmanuel College in 1947 for the English Department. During here time as a College faculty member she taught a two-hour long course called the “Introduction to Journalism,” “English Language and Literature Prior to 1400,” “Seventeenth Century Studies,” and “Modern Poetry: Major Forces and Figures.” She continued her career at Emmanuel College in the 1960s and served as the chairman in the English Department. By 1974, that same year, she moved on to be an International Students Academic Councilor at Long Island University, where she worked until 1990.
Sr. Anne Barbara passed away on February 16, 2004 in Worcester, Massachusetts.
William Paul Haas
Professor of Philosophy and Theology (1954-1962)
William Haas was born May 31, 1927 to Joseph J. and Elizabeth (Ryan) Haas and was the third of five children. He was educated primarily in the Newark, N.J., public schools. He also took painting classes with Richard Boyce at the Newark Museum School. He spent his last year of secondary education at Seton Hall Preparatory School in South Orange, N.J. In 1945, he entered Providence College with the Class of 1948 and joined the Philomusian Society, the organization preparing pre-ecclesiastics for Dominican Community life, and the Glee Club. In 1946, he was accepted into the novitiate and, in 1947, he professed at St. Rose Priory in Springfield, Ky. His philosophy and theology studies proceeded at St. Joseph’s Priory in Somerset, Ohio, from 1947 to 1949 and in Washington, D.C., from 1949 to 1954. He was ordained in Washington on June 4, 1953./p>
He received a bachelor of arts degree from Providence College in 1950 and several degrees from the Dominican House of Studies — the bachelor of sacred theology in 1952, and both the license of sacred theology and the lectorate in sacred theology in 1954. Father Haas resumed his degree work in 1960 at the University of Fribourg in Switzerland and was awarded doctorate degree in 1962.
From 1954 to 1962, Father Haas was assigned to St. Stephen’s Priory in Dover, Mass., and taught philosophy and theology at Emmanuel College in Boston. During this period, he also taught at the Cardinal Cushing School of Theology in Boston and at the Oblate Seminary in Natick, Mass., conducted a three-semester course on problems of contemporary Thomism for the Harvard Catholic Club, and participated in conferences at Packard Manse, a Boston center for ecumenical studies. In 1963, after completing his doctoral studies in Fribourg and then teaching for a year at Providence College (PC), he inaugurated an innovative University of Notre Dame cooperative program offering students at Purdue University, a state institution, courses in contemporary Christian thought. He was an associate professor at Notre Dame from 1963 to 1965 and a professor of contemporary theology at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana from 1964 to 1965.
From 1965 to 1971, he served as the President of Providence College. In May of 1971, he received the Outstanding Faculty Service Award from the PC Alumni Association. He taught philosophy at PC and at the University of Rhode Island in the year following his resignation as president. In the fall of 1972, he began a leave of absence and became a post-doctoral research associate in the Boston University Department of Philosophy, and in April 1973, he resigned from the PC faculty. On August 10, 1973, he received notification that he had been granted a dispensation. He was laicized and married shortly afterwards. In July 1973, he was appointed associate director for academic affairs of the Massachusetts State College System.
Dr. Haas continued his career in higher education for more than 20 years after leaving Providence College. He held a number of administrative and teaching posts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island, including four years as president of North Adams State College, until 1996. He also retired as professor of humanities from Bryant College in Smithfield, R.I., in 1996. Dr. Haas and his wife Pauline (Burke) Haas then retired to Newport, R.I.
Patricia A. Herlihy
Wyant Professor Emerita (2006-2009)
Patricia Ann Mcgahey on June 1, 1930 in San Francisco, California, a city she would call home through her childhood. She graduated from the University of California, Berkeley and obtained her PhD in History from the University of Pennsylvania. She authored Odessa: A History 1794-1914 (1987), The Alcoholic Empire: Vodka and Politics in Late Imperial Russia (2002) and Vodka: A Global History (2012).
She was Professor Emerita at Brown University (2001) and an Associate at the Ukrainian Research Institute and the Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard University. She also was a Co-Master of Mather House at Harvard University (1976-1986). Dr. Herlihy served as the first Louise Wyant Professor at Emmanuel College (2006-2009).
She was married to David J. Herlihy with whom she had six children.
Dr. Patricia A. Herlihy died on October 24, 2018.
Mary E. Hines '66
Professor of Theology (1992-2019)
Mary Elizabeth Hines was born in Long Beach, CA on May 14, 1943, the daughter of Edward and Jeanne (Caulfield) Hines. She graduated from St. Charles High School in Woburn, MA. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in 1961. Sr. Mary received her B.A. in English and Education from Emmanuel College (1966). She went on to earn an M.A. in Theology from St. Michael’s College in Toronto (1976) and her Ph.D. in Systemic Theology from St. Michael’s (1984).
She taught Junior High School at St. Joseph’s in Waltham from 1965-1967 before teaching English and Religion at Bishop Stang in North Dartmouth, MA from 1967-1973. She served as the Department Chair from 1971-1973. Sr. Mary became a Teaching Assistant in Sociology of Religion and Christology at the University of Toronto from 1974-1977. After that she was a Teaching Assistant in Fundamental Christian Ethics at St. Augustine’s Seminary at the Toronto School of Theology from 1977-1980.
She then became a professor at the Washington Theological Union from 1981 until 1992. In 1992, she became a professor of Theology at Emmanuel College where she served in the Religious Studies and Theology Department until 2019. In 1996, she left the Sisters of Notre de Namur order.
Carson Carl Johnson, Jr.
Professor of Psychology (1962-1998)
Carson Carl Johnson, Jr. was born January 12, 1930 in the then-segregated Baltimore, Md. to Carson C. Sr. and Katharine (Oliver) Johnson. He was a graduate of Baltimore’s Frederick Douglass High School, received a Bachelor of Science degree from Lincoln University, Chester County, Pa., a master’s degree in Psychology from Howard University in Washington D.C., and in 1963 a Ph.D. in Psychology from Boston University.
He was Professor of Psychology at Emmanuel College, Boston, where he taught for many years. He served as faculty representative to Emmanuel’s Board of Trustees and on the Faculty Senate, as well as on numerous faculty committees. He retired as Professor Emeritus in 1998, at which time a Scholarship in his name was established at Emmanuel. Over the years he also taught at Northeastern University Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Sciences, Boston University, St. John’s Seminary, New England Baptist Hospital School of Nursing and Newton Junior College.
Dr. Johnson’s other professional activities included: a private counseling practice, research psychologist at the Bedford Virginia Hospital where he published in clinical psychopharmacology and participated in research motivation and psychosomatic dentistry.
A husband to Elizabeth (McCarthy) Johnson and father of Cecilia and Laura, he was a talented singer. Carson performed as a soloist with numerous area organizations including the choirs of Boston University’s Marsh Chapel, Arlington Street Church, Church of the Covenant, and Christ Church (Old North), Boston; Trinity and Grace Churches, Newton as well as with the Lexington and Framingham Choral Societies. A long-time member of Grace Church and its choir, he served at various times as Vestry member, Junior Warden, Lay Eucharistic Minister and on numerous committees. He was, also, an avid gardener, hiker and mountain climber and an enthusiastic devotee of classical music.
Dr. Carson Carl Johnson, Jr. died on September 22, 2010 after a battle with Alzheimer’s Disease.
Sr. Julie (Marion T. Kilderry), SND '48
Professor of French (1950-1981)
Marion T. Kilderry was born in Peabody, MA on October 8th, 1910 to Thomas and Mary Kilderry. She entered the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1929, taking her first vows in 1931. She took her perpetual vows in 1937, and became formally known as Sister Julie Kilderry. In 1948, Sr. Julie Kilderry received her B.A. from Emmanuel College. She went on to earn her M.A. from Boston College in 1951 and finalized her education with a Ph.D. from Laval University in 1960.
She taught at St. Gregory’s in Dorchester, St. Patrick’s in Lowell, NDA in Tyngsboro, and St Mary’s in Lynn. She began teaching French and English at Emmanuel College in 1950, continuing to teach solely French from 1952 until 1981. She eventually became the Chair of the French Department. She also directed the Emmanuel Paris Program in the year of 1974, which was a fifth year program that allowed participants to gain a Masters of Arts in French. She went on to teach French at NDA in Hingham from 1981 to 1991, before finally retiring.
She died in Ipswich, MA on August 29, 2000.
Elizabeth C. Logan '23
Professor of English (1934–1953)
Elizabeth Catharine Logan was born on February 13th, 1889 to Lawrence and Katherine (O’Connor) Logan . Ms. Logan graduated from the Academy of Notre Dame in 1907 . She spent time as a member of the Tabernacle Society and made religious vestments for missionaries across the world. She also taught Sunday School and participated in the Red Cross and Canteen activities during the First World War. Elizabeth Logan was a member of the first Emmanuel College Class of 1923, where she received her Bachelor’s degree.
After attending Emmanuel College, Ms. Logan took graduate courses at Radcliffe College and Harvard University, but returned to Emmanuel to receive her Master’s degree in 1927 . Elizabeth Logan taught English at Emmanuel College for nineteen years (1934-1953). Throughout this period she continued her charity work, sat on the Board of Carney Hospital School of Nursing and was treasurer of the 101st Infantry Regiment Auxiliary during the Second World War . After her resignation, Ms. Logan was appointed the first executive secretary of the Emmanuel College Alumni Association.
Elizabeth C. Logan passed away on November 3rd, 1957 after an illness.
F. Donald Logan
Professor of History (1964-1993)
Francis Donald Logan was to Joseph (a milk deliverer) and Laura (MacDonald) Logan on March 9, 1930 Boston, MA. He was educated at St. John's Seminary, where he received his bachelor’s degree (1951) and a master’s degree (1954). A year later F. Donald Logan was ordained as a Catholic Priest. He went on to study at the University of Toronto where he earned his second master’s degree (1959). Fr. Logan continued his studies by earning a License in Mediaeval Studies (1959) and a Doctorate in Medieval Studies (1966) from the Pontifical Institute of Mediaeval Studies.
Fr. Logan started his teaching career at St. John’s Seminary where he served as an Assistant Professor of Ecclesiastical History (1965-1970). He also taught at Emmanuel College where he instructed courses in Medieval History. During his time at the College Fr. Logan served as the Historical Society Advisor (1960s) and served as the Cinema Club’s first adviser. Its aim was to promote film as an art form in all its genres. Its first films were The Knights of Cabiria, The Mouse That Roared, Raisin in the Sun, and Potemkin.
Doubting his vocation, Fr. F. Donald Logan took unauthorized leave in June 1977 and he was officially laicized on October 14, 1998.
In 1993, F. Donald Logan was granted the rank of Professor Emeritus of History.
Mary C. Mellyn
Professor of Education (1926-1929)
Mary C. Mellyn was born in Boston, Massachusetts on December 11th, 1870, to Martin J., and Ellen T. Mellyn . After graduating high school in January 1890, Mary C. Mellyn was a substitute teacher in Everett Elementary School, Dorchester, from February 1890 to January 1891 . She was then appointed second assistant at Rice Training School, Boston, on February 11th, 1891, where she stayed until November 1894 . Mary joined Wells School, Jamaica Plain, as a first assistant, third year from 1894 to September 1896 . Mary C. Mellyn took a position as an assistant at Boston Normal School in September 1896, and continued her work there until May 1905.
From there, Mary C. Mellyn spent time at Dillaway School, Boston, as a master until September 1906 . She was appointed Supervisor of Substitutes for Boston Public Schools in September 1906, and was promoted to Director of Substitutes in December 1911 . Mary C. Mellyn was further promoted to Director of Practice and Training for Boston Public Schools in September 1912 , a position she stayed in until her election as Assistant Superintendent of Schools in 1916.
Mary C. Mellyn received her Ed. M. at Boston University in 1924 . In 1925, Mary received an honorary doctorate from Boston College in education, making her the first woman to receive a degree from Boston College . Mary C. Mellyn taught secondary education as a graduate program at Emmanuel College from 1926 to 1929 , as well as taught courses at Boston College and Boston University . Mary C. Mellyn maintained her position as Assistant Superintendent at Boston Public Schools until 1946.
Theresa A. Monaco
Professor of Art (1969-2005)
Theresa A. Monaco was born to Michael and Flora Monaco on August 25, 1939. She attended Stoneham High School in Massachusetts and matriculated at Emmanuel College receiving degrees in Studio Arts (1962) and Painting (1965). She received an MFA at Syracuse University in printmaking and drawing. During this period Theresa Monaco entered the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. Reflecting the Congregations focus on education Sr. Theresa taught at different elementary and high schools that included: Bishop Fenwick in Peabody, MA and Bishop Stang in North Dartmouth, MA.
In 1969 Sr. Theresa began teaching at Emmanuel College and directed art courses on subjects that included: printmaking, drawing, pottery, and photography. Though Theresa Monaco renounced her religious life in 1976, she continued her work at Emmanuel and earned Excellence in Teaching Award in 1992. In 2005, Prof. Theresa A. Monaco was granted the rank of Professor Emerita of Art.
Her artwork has been exhibited at the Boston Printmakers annual shows, Gallery Naga (Boston, MA) and the deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum (Lincoln, MA). She also created the “Stations of the Cross” in the chapel at Notre Dame du Lac (Worcester, MA) and the bronze doors for the chapel in the Notre Dame Convent (Ipswich, MA)
After a long and hard-fought battle with kidney disease, Theresa Monaco passed away on April 2, 2017.
John B. Mullin
Professor of Education (1928-1937)
Rev. John Bernard Mullin was born on March 20th, 1887 in Dorchester, Massachusetts to John and Catharine Mullin, both Irish immigrants . He had two brothers, Patrick and Michael . He attended Boston College and graduated in 1912 with a Bachelor’s degree and after completing his college studies, John Mullin entered St. John’s Seminary in Brighton, Massachusetts and was ordained on June 24th 1916 . He was originally assigned to St. Agnes Church in Arlington, but later transferred to St. Paul’s Church in Cambridge. Rev. Mullin volunteered to serve in World War I as a chaplain and was commissioned as a lieutenant on July 24th, 1918 .
During his time in the war, Rev. John B. Mullin saw duty at Waynesville, North Carolina Base Hospital, Hoboken, New Jersey, and aboard the Great Northern and America Railway lines . He was discharged in Hoboken with the rank of first lieutenant on August 12th, 1919 . After his time in the War, Rev. Mullin served as the curate at St. Peters Church, Plymouth, Massachusetts and then transferred to St. Lawrence Church in Brookline, Massachusetts, where he stayed for thirteen years.
Rev. John B. Mullin received a Master’s degree from Boston College in 1929, and served as a professor of Education at Emmanuel College from 1928 until his death in 1937 . Rev. Mullin passed away at the age of 50 after an illness on August 29th, 1937.
Sr. Marie Augusta (Helen Catherine Neal), SND '42
Professor of Sociology (1953-1991)
Sr. Marie Augusta Neal, SND was born Helen Catherine Neal on June 21, 1921 in Brighton, Massachusetts to Thomas F. and Helen A. (Taylor) Neal. She had three siblings Frank Neal, Marie (Neal) Kelley and Grace (Neal) DiSciullo. She was educated at Notre Dame Academy on Granby Street in Boston, Massachusetts, before attending Emmanuel College where she graduated in 1942 and then entered the Sisters of Notre Dame Congregation in 1943. She taught secondary school between 1946 and 1953 in Lawrence, Massachusetts and in Boston, Massachusetts before starting her teaching career at Emmanuel College in 1953, after earning her Master’s Degree from Boston College. Sr. Marie Augusta Neal, SND then earned her doctorate in 1963 from Harvard University.
In 1965, She became the Director of the Research Committee of the Conference of Major Superiors of Women’s Institute (CMSW) which conducted an examination of the resources of nuns in the United States for the work of the Church in a post-Conciliar (i.e. post-Vatican II) period. She was also involved with studies of Jesuits in the California and Oregon Provinces, a multi-national study of the SND Congregation, and a survey of Catholic schools in South Africa, a study that she refused to participate in until it was agreed to include black schools, as well as, white schools. The study survey exposed the vast inequities between the white and black schools. Sr. Marie Augusta Neal, SND was awarded the Distinguished Contribution to Teaching Award by the American Sociological Society in 1986.
She retired from Emmanuel College in 1991 as head of the Sociology Department. and was granted the rank of Professor Emeritus. Sr. Marie Augusta Neal, SND died on February 25, 2004.
Sr. Wilfrid de Sacre Coeur (Elise Marie Parsons), SND
Professor of Latin and Political Science (1932-1967)
On November 18th, 1881 in Philadelphia, PA, Elise Marie Parsons was born to Paul Julien and Alice Cecilia (Avery) Parsons. She attended Trinity College and was a member of its first graduating class in 1904. She then entered the Sisters of Notre Dame in 1905, taking her first vows in 1907 and her perpetual vows in 1916. She took on the religious name Sister Wilfred de Sacre Coeur (of the Sacred Heart), in honor of her brother Reverend Wilfrid Parsons.
Following her joining of the covenant, Sr. Wilfrid taught in Northampton, England, and Rittenhouse, PA. In 1909, she returned to Trinity as an instructor in Latin. She would earn her master’s degree there (1911) and later her Ph.D. in classical languages from the Catholic University of America (1923). In 1924, Sr Wilfrid took on the position as Dean of Students at Trinity College. She would remain in this position until 1932, when she was transferred to Emmanuel College and became an instructor ¬¬¬of Latin and Political Science.
On May 31st, 1954 Sr Wilfrid was awarded the honorary degree of Doctor of Humane Letters. She received this award for her translation of collected letters of Saint Augustine. Five total volumes were published, making up the “Fathers of the Church” series, which are owned by the Catholic University of America. Emmanuel College’s publication known as LOGOS made note of her accomplishment, stating, “We rejoice with Sister in the richly-deserved honor that has come to her, and we wish her many more happy, fruitful years”.
Sr. Wilfrid de Sacre Coeur passed away on March 30th, 1970 in Worchester, MA.
Professor of Art (1952-1970)
MA (Mary Agnes) Reardon was a liturgical artist, portraitist and teacher during the 20th century. Born on July 19, 1912, she was the middle child of Mary Agnes (Cashman) and Daniel B. Reardon MD. MA Reardon and her brothers Paul and George grew-up in Quincy, Massachusetts. After graduating from Quincy High School in 1929, she attended Radcliff College and Yale University’s School of Fine Arts where she earned a BA (1934) and BFA (1938), respectively.
After earning her degrees, MA Reardon continued to hone her skills earning a honorable mention at the Challoner Prize Foundation (1937) and established a studio at 30 Ipswich Street in Boston, Massachusetts. She participated in many different projects that included: sketching wounded service men of the Second World War (1941-1945), illustrating children’s books (1942-1946), exhibited her work at the Institute of Modern Art, now the Institute of Contemporary Art ( 1944) and assisting David Siqueiros with mural paintings in Mexico (c. 1948-1949). In the 1950s, in addition to becoming a professor of Art at Emmanuel College in Boston, Reardon began to lead her own artistic projects that would include murals for St. Peter and Paul’s Church (1952), Cardinal Spellman High School (1955-1958), and St. John’s Seminary (c. 1958-1959), all in or around the Boston area.
MA Reardon continued her work into the 1960s when she designed mosaics for at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC (1964-1966, 1970-1973), created a portrait of her brother Justice Paul C. Reardon of the Massachusetts Supreme Court (1966), and won the President’s Medal at the Second International Exposition of Sacred Art in Italy (1966). In the 1970s Reardon not only continued her work at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, but also designed the artwork for the new building of St. Mary’s Cathedral (c. 1973-1977). MA Reardon continued, in her relocated studio at 12 Martins Lane, Hingham, Massachusetts, her artwork into the 1980s when she designed mosaics for St. Louis Cathedral in St. Louis, Missouri. It was during this period that she painted portrait of Humberto Cardinal Medeiros (c. 1979), Robert Gilmore MD (c. 1985) and Judge Francis P. Murphy (c. 1987).
Although MA Reardon entered semi-retirement in the 1990s, she continued to practice her craft by taking part in art exhibits and designing artwork for churches near her home in Hingham, Massachusetts. These included St. Paul’s Church in Hingham (c. 1996) and St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church in Cohasset, Massachusetts (c. 2000).
She was honored for her work by Emmanuel College with a honorary doctorate in 1999. MA Reardon died on May 8, 2002, leaving behind an impressive artistic record of liturgical and 20th century artwork.
C. David Thomas
Professor of Art (1978-2001)
C. David Thomas was born in Portland, Maine on July 15, 1946. He graduated from Westbrook High School in 1964 and then attended Tufts University. He was married to Jean Milliken in June of 1968. He joined the U.S. Army in 1968, and was sent to Pleiku, South Vietnam, to serve as a combat engineer/artist. He later returned to the United States (U.S.) to complete his military service at Fort Bliss in El Paso, TX. He was discharged from the Army in 1971.
After leaving the U.S. Army, Thomas joined the Vietnam Veterans Against the War to protest U.S. War in Vietnam. Much of his artwork was the focus of the anti-war movement. Thomas attended the Rhode Island School of Design and received his MFA in 1974. By 1978 he began a teaching career at Emmanuel College where he taught studio art until 2001. He is currently an adjunct professor at the Massachusetts College of Art in Boston.
He has periodically returned to Vietnam to do research and conduct programs of cultural exchange between the United States and Vietnam. In 1990 he began the Indochina Arts Partnership (formerly the Indochina Arts Project) and has been the director ever since. As director he is responsible for all activities including programs, fundraising, accounting, and managing of staff. Since 1990 he has curated two major exhibitions the “As seen by Both Sides: American and Vietnamese Artists Look at the War” and “An Ocean Apart: Contemporary Art from the United States and Vietnam.” He has also curated several smaller exhibitions that have traveled to museums and universities across the United States. In 2000, he was awarded the “Vietnam Art Medal” by the government of Vietnam in recognition of his contributions to the arts.
He received a Fulbright Grant in 2002 to conduct his work in residence in Hanoi. During this time, he designed the book HO CHI MINH – A Portrait (2003). From 2002 until 2004 he also worked at the Vietnam National Museum of Fine Arts helping to redesign marketing and museum brochures. In 2007, he designed the book Huynh Phuong Dong: Visions Of War And Peace.
Barbara Raftery ‘54
Barbara A. Raftery was born in 1933 to John M. and Gertrude E. (Mahoney) Raftery and was raised alongside her brother and sister. She graduated from Notre Dame Academy, where she was the sole female recipient of a full scholarship awarded by the Archdiocese of Boston. She continued her education at Emmanuel College, where she was a member of Sodality, Chemical Society, Literary Society, Focus and served as Ethos Editor-in-Chief for Ethos before earning her Bachelor of Arts degree in 1954. Ms. Raftery went on to earn her master's degree from Simmons College where she studied Children’s Librarianship.
Barbara A. Raftery then pursued a career in higher education administration at Emmanuel College starting circa 1957 where she served as the assistant to the Academic Dean and Assistant Librarian. After leaving Emmanuel circa 1982 to care for her ailing mother, she worked and volunteered for several years at Catholic Charities in Boston. Barbara was an avid Red Sox fan, gardener and audiophile.
Ms. Barbara A. Raftery died on October 17, 2020.